File crashes Excel!!

Save my workbook!
The best tool for salvaging problematic workbooks.

Home > English site > Articles > Add-ins do not load

Excel add-ins fail to load

Introduction

Lately (I wrote this page on August 17, 2016) I've been getting reports from people complaining that they can no longer use add-ins. In this article I describe the problem and a solution.

The problem

Even though an add-in has been "installed" into Excel using the Add-ins dialog its userinterface does not show. This is that dialog:

Add-ins dialog of Excel

As you can see, some add-ins are checked. But sometimes the user-interface of an add-in fails to display. In fact, the add-in file will not open in Excel at all, even if you try from Windows Explorer, or from File, Open from within Excel. Without any error message.

The cause

A recent Office Security update has caused any file downloaded from the internet (so this includes add-ins) to be marked as Blocked. Even if those files were in a zip container, they are marked as blocked. And Excel will simply not open them.

Solution

Unblock the files! Like so:

1. Copy the file from the zip file to any folder

2. Right-click the file and choose properties:

Select file properties

3. Click the Unblock button:

Click Unblock

Other resources

If you have a folder full of blocked files, this page describes a way to unblock all of them using Powershell.

And a great article by fellow-MVP Jon Acampora: Excel Add-in Ribbon Disappears After Installation.

This article describes the mechanics of the problem very well: http://www.howtogeek.com/70012/what-causes-the-file-downloaded-from-the-internet-warning-and-how-can-i-easily-remove-it/

Comments

Showing last 8 comments of 24 in total (Show All Comments):

Comment by: Ronald LaRiviere (5/25/2018 5:12:50 PM)

Jan,

It is listed NameManager (Name Manager 2007.xlam)

Ron

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (5/27/2018 11:32:28 AM)

Hi Ronald,

Does control+shift+n open the name manager dialog? The UI can be normally found on the formulas tab of the ribbon, far right.

Comment by: Ron LaRiviere (5/29/2018 1:52:57 PM)

When selecting Cntrl+Shift+n, the Name Manager Utility is there. Looking at the formulas tab, the icon is not and it is not in the selection list to add.

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (5/29/2018 2:12:59 PM)

Hi Ron,

If you enable show add-in userinterface errors (Excel options) and you reboot Excel, do you get any error messages?

Comment by: Ronald LaRiviere (5/29/2018 2:55:25 PM)

I selected the options in options and when I open Excel, I get a Custom UI Error dialog box that reads as follows:

The custom UI associated with this document has been disabled by policy.

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (5/29/2018 3:19:28 PM)

Hi Ron,

Which is tech-speak which means your IT dept has decided for you that you do not want external tools to work properly. Unfortunately there isn't anything I can do about that :-(

Comment by: PhilUK (6/22/2018 10:44:37 AM)

Hi Jan
Like many of your followers I have used your addin since Excel 2003 and have appreciated your work for many years
I am now using Excel 2016
When I try to add a new name I get an error message headed "API Clipboard Copy", which states "Memory location could not be Unlocked. Clipboard copy aborted"
The added name is then listed but typically shows as referring to the active cell only
I have tried to edit the "refers to" but the same error message appears
Can you offer any advice?

Comment by: Ricardo Hernandez Tablas (7/19/2018 6:30:32 PM)

Excellent article, helped me a lot with some problems I was having with add-ins.

Thanks a lot

Your e-mail address (optional, will only be used to inform you when your comment is published or to respond to your question directly):

I give permission to process this data and display my name and my comment on this website accoring to our Privacy Policy.