Home > English site > Articles > Add-ins do not load

Excel add-ins fail to load

Introduction

Lately (I wrote this page on August 17, 2016) I've been getting reports from people complaining that they can no longer use add-ins. In this article I describe the problem and a solution.

The problem

Even though an add-in has been "installed" into Excel using the Add-ins dialog its userinterface does not show. This is that dialog:

Add-ins dialog of Excel

As you can see, some add-ins are checked. But sometimes the user-interface of an add-in fails to display. In fact, the add-in file will not open in Excel at all, even if you try from Windows Explorer, or from File, Open from within Excel. Without any error message.

The cause

A recent Office Security update has caused any file downloaded from the internet (so this includes add-ins) to be marked as Blocked. Even if those files were in a zip container, they are marked as blocked. And Excel will simply not open them.

Solution

Unblock the files! Like so:

1. Copy the file from the zip file to any folder

2. Right-click the file and choose properties:

Select file properties

3. Click the Unblock button:

Click Unblock

Other resources

If you have a folder full of blocked files, this page describes a way to unblock all of them using Powershell.

And a great article by fellow-MVP Jon Acampora: Excel Add-in Ribbon Disappears After Installation.

This article describes the mechanics of the problem very well: http://www.howtogeek.com/70012/what-causes-the-file-downloaded-from-the-internet-warning-and-how-can-i-easily-remove-it/

Comments

Comment by: Patrick Matthews (8/17/2016 7:48:59 PM)

Blocking all downloaded files by default? That seems rather heavyhanded...

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (8/18/2016 6:20:49 AM)

Hi Patrick,

I'm not sure yet whether it is all files, or just add-ins. I have mixed results when testing.

Comment by: Gunthor (10/19/2016 10:43:36 AM)

T H A N K Y O U
I've been looking for this answer for 2 months...
M A N Y T H A N K S :-)

Comment by: Ralph (2/7/2017 4:00:17 PM)

THANK YOU!!! I've been searching for this solution for a long, long-time!

Comment by: Wei (2/17/2017 7:37:12 AM)

I tried, but still failed, I also tried to update the regedit, move the dll file to a safe location. Almost feel crazy.......

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (2/20/2017 9:57:33 AM)

Hi Wei,

The article is about Excel-based add-ins (xla and xlam files), not about dll files.

Comment by: king_faisal (10/1/2017 1:03:12 AM)

We are using Dose for Excel Add-In that provides more than +100 functions and features specialized in Excel editing and data manipulating, please consider this add-in in your post since it is so useful for Excel end-users.

Comment by: James Witherspoon (12/26/2017 7:57:51 PM)

Excel 2003 no longer can load Name Manager. When trying to install the addin I get this error from Microsoft Visual Basic: "Errors occurred during load". Clicking the "help" button says to check the log file but I have no idea where that file is located. I unblocked the Name Manger.xla file, as instructed, but that did not help.

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (12/27/2017 11:24:58 AM)

Hi James,

What happens if you launch Excel first (from its shortcut)?

Comment by: Doug Hesketh (2/8/2018 9:45:56 AM)

This was exactly the cause of my issue, a simple resolution and my frustration has disappeared. Thank you.

Comment by: Phil Sousa (3/16/2018 10:12:24 PM)

Thanks very much for this fix!!! It worked! Woohooo!

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (3/17/2018 1:36:08 PM)

Hi Phil,

You're welcome!

Comment by: Dan Kelly (4/2/2018 10:12:17 AM)

Using Excel 2016 on windows 10.
I was trying to add the JKP Name Manager add-in. Tried unblocking on the file properties, adding the add-in location as a trusted location and still nothing.
Later, I found out that Excel decided to put the Name Manager addin in the Formulas tab as a separate group. Didn't think to look there.

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (4/3/2018 9:56:56 AM)

Hi Dan,

The NM manual mentions where to find it in the user interface, this manual is part of the download containing the add-in :-)

Comment by: Ronald LaRiviere (5/25/2018 2:58:56 PM)

We are using Excel 2016 and I cannot find the Name Manager Utility in the application. I checked the properties as described on the website:

However, there is no Security Block section. The Add-in is listed. What else can I do to have access?

Ron

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (5/25/2018 3:38:51 PM)

Hi Ronald,

If you open Excel and subsequently the VBA Editor, is Name Manager listed in the list of projects?

Comment by: Ronald LaRiviere (5/25/2018 5:12:50 PM)

Jan,

It is listed NameManager (Name Manager 2007.xlam)

Ron

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (5/27/2018 11:32:28 AM)

Hi Ronald,

Does control+shift+n open the name manager dialog? The UI can be normally found on the formulas tab of the ribbon, far right.

Comment by: Ron LaRiviere (5/29/2018 1:52:57 PM)

When selecting Cntrl+Shift+n, the Name Manager Utility is there. Looking at the formulas tab, the icon is not and it is not in the selection list to add.

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (5/29/2018 2:12:59 PM)

Hi Ron,

If you enable show add-in userinterface errors (Excel options) and you reboot Excel, do you get any error messages?

Comment by: Ronald LaRiviere (5/29/2018 2:55:25 PM)

I selected the options in options and when I open Excel, I get a Custom UI Error dialog box that reads as follows:

The custom UI associated with this document has been disabled by policy.

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (5/29/2018 3:19:28 PM)

Hi Ron,

Which is tech-speak which means your IT dept has decided for you that you do not want external tools to work properly. Unfortunately there isn't anything I can do about that :-(

Your e-mail address (optional, will only be used to inform you when your comment is published or to respond to your question directly):

I give permission to process this data and display my name and my comment on this website accoring to our Privacy Policy.