What has changed?

PerfectXL Compare, for Spreadsheet Comparison
This Excel compare tool is fast, reliable, and easy to use. Compare two Excel files now and see for yourself!
Home > English site > Articles > Add-ins do not load

Excel add-ins fail to load

Introduction

Lately (I wrote this page on August 17, 2016) I've been getting reports from people complaining that they can no longer use add-ins. In this article I describe the problem and a solution.

The problem

Even though an add-in has been "installed" into Excel using the Add-ins dialog its userinterface does not show. This is that dialog:

Add-ins dialog of Excel

As you can see, some add-ins are checked. But sometimes the user-interface of an add-in fails to display. In fact, the add-in file will not open in Excel at all, even if you try from Windows Explorer, or from File, Open from within Excel. Without any error message.

The cause

A recent Office Security update has caused any file downloaded from the internet (so this includes add-ins) to be marked as Blocked. Even if those files were in a zip container, they are marked as blocked. And Excel will simply not open them.

Solution

Unblock the files! Like so:

1. Copy the file from the zip file to any folder

2. Right-click the file and choose properties:

Select file properties

3. Click the Unblock button:

Click Unblock

Other resources

If you have a folder full of blocked files, this page describes a way to unblock all of them using Powershell.

And a great article by fellow-MVP Jon Acampora: Excel Add-in Ribbon Disappears After Installation.

This article describes the mechanics of the problem very well: http://www.howtogeek.com/70012/what-causes-the-file-downloaded-from-the-internet-warning-and-how-can-i-easily-remove-it/

Comments

Showing last 8 comments of 43 in total (Show All Comments):

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (26-5-2020 11:02:00)

Hi Carlos,

Can you please elaborate what you "need on VBA"?

Comment by: Renny (11-6-2020 16:24:00)

Hello,

I also get the error message "run-time error 13"

" type mismatch"

I run Office 16.

Appreciate any suggestions or help.

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (12-6-2020 12:04:00)

Hi Renny,

When do you get this error (opening what workbook and on which line of VBA code precisely)?

Comment by: Mike (11-8-2020 08:36:00)

Many thanks for this helpful description!

Comment by: abu (27-8-2020 22:50:00)

run time error 91 (vb) object variable not set

Comment by: Tim (24-9-2020 07:19:00)

Many thanks Jan, this is exactly what I needed. I recently switched to a new PC and was going crazy without my trusty Excel add-in full of secret tools and functions!

Comment by: suraj kumar (27-9-2020 03:48:00)

I have added addin but it failed to display at forms control. How to add it in form control even it is not in other controls list

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (28-9-2020 10:19:00)

Hi Suraj,

Which control are you trying to use exactly?

Your e-mail address (optional, will only be used to inform you when your comment is published or to respond to your question directly):

Your request or comment (max 2000 characters):

I give permission to process this data and display my name and my comment on this website accoring to our Privacy Policy.