If you are in need of a utility to manage defined names in your workbooks, this one is a must-have. List all names in your active workbook. Filter them using 13 filters, e.g. "With external references", "With errors", Hidden, Visible. Show just names that contain a substring. Show just names unused in worksheet cells. Edit them in a simple dialog or make a list, edit the list and update all names in one go. Delete, hide, unhide selected names with a single mouse click.
The Name Manager is freeware, all I'd like to ask you is to tell everyone if you like it and to tell me if you don't.
Current version downloads
Name Manager for Excel 97, 2000, XP and 2003 V4.2 (Build 635, 21 Jun 2012, Downloaded: 106425 times)
Tip: Excel 97 users can download Name Manager version 3.2 below if they experience compile errors.
Name Manager for Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013 V4.2 (Build 635, 21 Jun 2012, downloaded: 46605 times)
Solving Compile errors related to Name Manager
Some users get a compile error during load of Name Manager: "Compile Error in hidden module, fxlNameManager".
This error is mostly resolved by:
Excel 2003: open Excel and select Help, detect and repair from the menu.
Excel 2007/2010/2013: Open Office Setup from Control Panel, Programs and do a repair of the Office installation.
After doing so, Name Manager should work as expected.
New in this version (4.2):
- Rename also renames in VBA when you use short-hand code like [TheName].
- When you delete a name, Name Manager offers to un-apply the name in your workbook.
- Name Manager goes 64 bit! Name Manager now also supports the 64 bit version of Office 2010.
- Icon & button for Rename
- Icon and Button for GoTo
- Revised Icons
- Double-click a name invokes GoTo rather than Rename
- GoTo has been removed from Options
- Workbook Name shows in NM caption, dynamically refreshes when a different workbook is activated
- Add Name allows you to add a name that refers to a different (open) workbook
- Scroll bar in options removed
- Bug fixed for Highlight a single Name
- GoTo now works for 3D names, Relative Names, Names referring to open external workbooks
- Evaluate works for names referring to open external workbooks
- Minor UI changes
- Fixed issue with larger grid in 2007, 2010 and 2013
- Fixed issue with renaming names in chart series formula
- Fixed bug regarding updating LinkedCell property when renaming names
- Sorting of names and refersto formulas
- Functionality to edit names that refer to large multiple areas.
- Add name dialog
- Shortcut key (default control-shift-n) to start Name Manager
- Choice between icons on commandbuttons or text labels (see Screenshot).
- Rename a name. Name Manager includes a rename option, which will enable you to change the name of a name and have all objects that use that name update too. (this includes VBA)
- Show where a name is in use:
- International version, screens and messages in national languages:
- Brazilian Portuguese
- And others...
- Analyse Command, allows partial evaluation of names etc.
- Many different filter options
- Options listbox shows options for:
- Confirm Changes
- R1C1 Notation
- GoTo Selected Names
- Show RefersTo
- Show Excel System Names
- Sort Names (sort local names together by sheet)
- Highlight named Ranges
- Clear Highlights
- Form can be resized, including minimise/maximise buttons and moving of splits
Not sure version 4.2 is stable? Name Manager 3.2 (Downloaded: 6510 times) is still available!
Mac users, please note : version 4.0 does not work in the Mac environment, due to the use of Windows API calls. For your convenience, Name Manager 2.3 (Downloaded: 5535 times) is still available.
Download the zip file by clicking the link above that says "NameManager.zip". Unpack the files in the zip file to a folder of your liking and open the file called "Setup Name Manager.xls". Press the button in that file to install.
Click here to request support or issue comments or suggestions on this product.
Microsoft and the Office logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.