File crashes Excel!!

Save my workbook!
The best tool for salvaging problematic workbooks.

Home > English site > Products > RefTreeAnalyser > Operating instructions

RefTreeAnalyser Operating instructions

Start the tool from the ribbon of Excel 2007 and up, you will find a group on the Formulas tab:

Or use the cell right click menu:

In Excel 2003, Start the tool from Excel's Tools menu:

or use the toolbar:

Buy RefTreeAnalyser now!

Comments

Comment by: Elliot Seligman (9/11/2009 7:23:18 AM)

RefTreeAnalyser --

What is your upgrade / update policy as new versions are released -- are they Free Forever? Minor Upgrades only?

Elliot

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (9/11/2009 7:55:02 AM)

Hi Elliot,

Updates are free until I decide to publish a major new release. I plan to have an upgrade version for a rebate then.

Comment by: Mike Budd (4/30/2010 5:10:10 AM)

Just trying out the demo version, which is a great tool!

One small problem, the analyser does not seem to fully deal with named formulae. (Situations where a formula has been typed into the refers to field of a named range). It does sensibly list all the usages of named functions in the same column so I can look at them myself, but it does not select just those that are related to the cell under analysis. Any way round this?

In addition, it gives numeric cell references in the references display, not the names of named ranges. Any way I can toggle the names?

Many thanks again

Mike

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (4/30/2010 6:51:02 AM)

Hi Mike,

Could you perhaps send me your file (see email address at bottom of this page)?
If so, please include some information on which cell you are analysing and what you get and what you expect to get?

Comment by: Jean-Pierre Degroote (12/9/2012 6:33:05 PM)

Dag Jan Karel,

Ik kocht onlangs dit tooltje en heb er reeds goed gebruik van gemaakt maar deze morgen bij het opstarten van Excel krijg ik de melding dat Excel een ernstig probleem heeft met dit tooltje. De Excel Ref Tool tab is nu niet meer beschikbaar. Heb reeds een uninstall en install gedaan maar nog steeds niet. Ik heb Excel 2010 op Windows 7. Wat nu?
Alvast bedankt voor je aandacht.

Mvg,

JP

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (12/9/2012 6:34:05 PM)

Hallo Jean Pierre,

Kijk eens onder Excel opties, Add-ins tabje en kies in de dropdown lijst "UItgeschakelde items". Waarschijnlijk staat reftreeanalyser daar abusievelijk tussen.

Comment by: Mario (12/1/2014 1:19:01 AM)

Just installed your excellent add-in in my Excel 2013.

I've noticed the backstage is now gone upon firing up Excel.

How could I bring it back, thanks.

Cheers,

--Mario

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (12/1/2014 11:30:27 AM)

Hi Mario,

That is very odd, as RTA does not change backstage view at all. I jus tested on a system with Excel 2013 and it shows up properly on that. Do ou have any other add-ins loaded perhaps?

Comment by: Mario (12/2/2014 1:32:44 AM)

Yes, I do, though none of them had exhibited such behaviour before.

Here they go:

ABBYY FineReader 12 MSExcel Add-In
Excel Reader Add-In
Microsoft Office PowerPivot for Excel 2013
Microsoft Power Map for Excel
Microsoft Power Query for Excel
NatSpeak Excel Add-In
Power View
Team Foundation Add-In

All of these are COM add-ins.

I installed your product on a couple of my other machines, same behaviour exhibited (no Backstage View), though these machines also have all the other add-ins installed.

Cheers,

--Mario

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (12/2/2014 1:46:40 PM)

Hi Mario,

What if you disable all other add-ins?
You are the first to report this problem.

The ribbon customisation code of my tool does not contain anything regarding the backstage view, so I'm afraid this is either a problem with your system or some sort of funny interaction with another add-in.

Comment by: Mario (12/2/2014 4:33:17 PM)

To be more accurate, the Backstage doesn't appear at startup, it is otherwise available once a file is opened.

I tried switching it on and off from the Options, to see it it'll "shake it up", to no avail.

I will test disabling the other add-ins, but it'll have to wait a few days, unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, do you have your own "Show Backstage at start up" turned on or off?

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (12/3/2014 6:23:09 AM)

Hi Mario,

Aha! Now I understand. I have an idea what might be causing this (though it should not happen IMO). Will see if it can be fixed.

Comment by: Mario (12/3/2014 7:53:55 AM)

You gotta love those "Aha!" moments :^)

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (12/4/2014 10:51:39 AM)

Hi Mario,

I have fixed the issue (at least on my system it now retains the startup screen of Excel 2013).

Comment by: Mario (12/5/2014 12:13:37 AM)

Thanks, Jan Karel, that seems to have sorted the problem :^)

Cheers,

--Mario

Comment by: Mario (1/5/2015 6:34:36 AM)

Hi Jan Karel,

I have lost the backstage at startup again. I presume it has to do with some update to Excel, as I haven't changed anything in the meantime.

Could you kindly try to see what's going on, thanks.

Cheers,

--Mario

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (1/5/2015 10:22:41 AM)

Hi Mario,

Looks like Microsoft broke the feature I used to avoid hiding the startup screen. I have reported this to them.

In the mean time, I have updated the tool so it does not use this feature anymore. You'll be prompted to update within the next 7 days.

Comment by: Mario (1/5/2015 12:15:21 PM)

Thanks, Jan Karel.

Microsoft should be spanked for being so naughty :^)

Cheers,

--Mario

Comment by: Mario (2/4/2015 12:36:32 AM)

Hi Jan Karel,

I think Microsoft might've broken your start-up sequence again. Shortly after providing the version that fixed the backstage not appearing at startup, it went back to not displaying it again. I kind of got used to it, just wanted to report it to you.

Secondly, does anyone have any experience with the add-ons folder being on OneDrive? I am experimenting with it (so my multiple machines have a synced version -- though any of them would update independently anyway), but I think something is confusing the OneDrive update mechanism as it seems to be "running in circles" and not updating to the latest RefTreeAnalyzer version. Not a biggie, just something you might want to check/investigate, as I can only presume many others might go down this path.

Cheers,

--Mario

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (2/4/2015 9:43:38 AM)

Hi Mario,

This start screen stuff is very annoying. I'll see what I can do :-)

I would not advise using the OneDrive folder for this, as you said, it behaves odd sometimes. As the tool auto-updates anyway there is no need. It does not even save any diskspace as the file will be on each computer connected to OneDrive anyway.

Comment by: Mario (2/4/2015 10:59:22 PM)

Hi Jan Karel,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I am personally not fussed about the backstage issue, more important that I can use the tool than worry about who moved my cheese.

As for using OneDrive, absolutely no advantage (you don't save space, downloads, etc., aside that the tool's size is relatively insignificant in today's terms) and you get a lot of OneDrive annoyances.

Cheers,

--Mario

Comment by: Stanley Silverman (3/30/2016 4:15:12 PM)

Hi, Jan Karel -
I recently had to reinstall your excellent product, but made the mistake of doing this from within the zipped folder. I reinstalled by following the instructions, but I still get the various files not found error messages when Excel starts up (Excel 2010, Windows 7). How do I fix the problem?
Thanks for your help!
Sincerely,
Stanley Silverman

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (3/30/2016 5:04:37 PM)

Hi Stanley,

Open Excel, go to the add-ins dialog and click on each one. Excel will prompt to remove the ones it cannot locate anymore.

Comment by: Stanley Silverman (3/30/2016 6:37:54 PM)

Hi, Jan Karel -
Thanks so much for your quick response - it worked!
Thanks again,
Stanley Silverman

Comment by: Stanley Silverman (3/30/2016 11:05:09 PM)

Hi, Jan Karel -
The solution only seems to work during the current session.
When I quit out of Excel and then re-launch the program, the same error messages come up again. Somewhere there's a setting or a link that's not being fully updated when I tell Excel to remove the bogus item.
Thanks again,
Stanley Silverman

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (3/31/2016 7:03:05 AM)

Hi Stanley,

That is unusual. Perhaps you need to run Excel as an admin for this (though that should not be needed)?

Comment by: C Lee (8/27/2016 5:39:44 PM)

Hi, Jan Karel,

I am currently using Office 365 in Win 10, and it seems that I can't open the file by double clicking the file. Please kindly help, thanks!

Regards, C Lee

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (8/27/2016 7:20:34 PM)

Probably the file is blocked due to a recent security update. See: http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/excel-add-ins-fail-to-load.asp