Home > English site > Products > Remediation utility

Excel File Remediation Tool

Many companies have been using spreadsheets for decades. Sometimes spreadsheet models may go back as much as 20 years, when the first steps were taken to build them, sometimes using Lotus 123 or other spreadsheet applications.

More often than not, these (often business critical) models have been extended considerably over the years:

My customer (who had already been in contact with Microsoft premium support about these issues without getting resolutions) asked me whether it would be possible to build a wizard-like tool to salvage this kind of files. Even better: to remove possible corruptions entirely, without damaging the integrity of the spreadsheet model, without removing formatting and also making sure any VBA code is retained.

Purchase

Buy The Excel File Remediation Tool now!

A single user license costs € 75 ($ 80) excluding VAT.

Download

Use the link below to download the tool.

Download The Excel File Remediation Utility (Free demo!!!) V2.0 (Build 121, Updated Oct 2, 2017, downloaded: 1,723 times)

The tool will work without a license code but with (only slightly) limited functionality. After purchasing a license, you can simply enter the license code into the tool's settings dialog. The limitations will be removed instantly.

Money back guarantee

If you are in any way dissatisfied with The Excel File Remediation Utility , contact me within 30 days after your purchase and I'll issue a refund.

User interface

The menu of the tool is shown below.

Menu of remediation tool, Support version

These screenshots show the steps of the wizard.

First Step: file selection.

First Step: file selection (Support).

Next step: what actions must be performed:

Next step: what actions must be performed (Support):

Last step: What statistics must be gathered:

Last step: What statistics must be gathered (Support):

Buy The Excel File Remediation Tool now!

Since remediation may be a lengthy process, the tools shows its progress. Note that the progress indicator has a stop button, with which the process may be exited.

Remediation progress (Support)

My customer has repeatedly confirmed this tool has proven to be an invaluable time-saver, which has enabled them to salvage business critical files, they otherwise had to consider as being lost.

Buy The Excel File Remediation Tool now!

Comments

Comment by: Andrew (12/3/2009 9:04:05 AM)

I'm very interested in your remediation tool. I am currently using fastexcel to clean rubbish out of the sheets but it is very time consuming, the automated features of your remediation tool look interesting. In fastexcel I use the clean workbook feature and the name manager on idividual files, can you improve on this?
I also use another piece of software that checks for VBA issues between the old version (2002) we were using and 2007, I'm not very happy with this so will be interested if you have anything to help there as well.
I need a safe utility which can ideally work on bulk files as I am fixing files for a few hundred people during the migration.
The name manager is a great tool but I'm having a problem when there are too many names, if I have a sheet with 1400 names then it locks up even though it works fine when I delete 3/4 first. Is there a clever way to use it to cope with the problem?
Andrew

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (12/3/2009 10:35:51 AM)

Hi Andrew,

Your email bounced, could you please get in touch using the email link below?

Comment by: Joseph (12/8/2009 5:01:00 PM)

How do I purchase the Excel File Remediation Tool? I don't see a BUY button.

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (12/9/2009 1:48:33 AM)

Hi Joseph,

There is no buy button (yet). I've sent you an email.

Comment by: Sherwin Chase (4/9/2010 5:51:03 AM)

I use and appreciate the functionality of your NameManager and the licensed version of RefTreeAnalyzer products. I am interested in getting more information on pricing and availability of your Excel File Remediation tool. Is it likely that the release of Office 2010 will have a significant effect on the functionality of the tool?

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (4/9/2010 6:07:47 AM)

Hi Sherwin,

I expect it will work just fine in Excel 2010.
The tool comes in two versions:

- A limited functionality version, which I call the "User" version.

- A fully functional version, which I call the "Support" version.

Send me an email using the address at the bottom of this page if you want more information.

Comment by: Luoyong (4/17/2010 11:27:36 AM)

Dear Jan:
after a long time work with my VBA project, I save the file and shut down my computer. when I turn it on and begin to continue work with My VBA project. I can't open the file normally, the excel told information" lost Visual Basic project", then the auto-recover function works automatically, but all the VBA code was disappear.
could you give one hand! how can I find my lost VBA Project.
thank you!

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (4/17/2010 11:42:11 AM)

Depends on the file format you used.Is it an xlsm file?

Comment by: Tom Huntford (12/17/2010 2:12:07 PM)

This may be just what I need. I have a business-critical Excel 2010 file that is getting slower and slower, even though the size stays at 5 meg. I tried saving it back to xls format, thinking maybe the complex conditional formatting ranges in 2010 were the culprit. I got a list of stuff in the "Significant loss of functionality" screen. One of the items is "formulas in this workbook are linked to other workbooks that are closed" - Location: "Defined Names". I had already removed all links and connections visible through the Data menu, so this was surprising. I looked through all named ranges and there are no cells with formulas referring to remote files. A colleague tried to open the file on a computer not connected to the network and it wouldn't open. We think there may be some kind of named range that we cannot find by normal means. Does this sound like something your product can help with?

Tom Huntford
MRP Administrator
Freeman Marine Equipment Inc.

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (12/19/2010 12:14:42 PM)

Hi Tom,

Maybe downloading my Name manager helps you find the problem link?

www.jkp-ads.com//officemarketplacenm-en.asp

Comment by: Chad (2/27/2011 11:40:50 AM)

I have a workbook that somehow ended up with 6,900 defined names. I use about 40 of them. I tried name manager to delete external, error and hidden names but it has been thinking for the last 30 mins. Will remediation manager be a better tool for me?

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (2/27/2011 11:35:54 PM)

Hi Chad,

Not necessarily. I would first try to delete the names step-by-step: first try to remove the error names, then the hidden ones. Make sure you do not remove Excel system manes, those are often hidden.
Then -finally- try removing the external names.

Comment by: Bobby Speake (8/11/2011 2:26:23 PM)

Where do I get Excel File Remediation Tool, I may be not seeing it but I need it

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (8/22/2011 2:18:31 AM)

Hi Bobby,

Send me an email using the address at the bottom of this page.

Comment by: Jaden Glaukos (9/8/2011 1:01:12 AM)

First need to say thank you! For years I have enjoyed using the always
improving versions of Name Manager. I am fairly sure that at least
more than once keeping my job, or at least my self-respect, that Name
Manager made it possible to sift through issues in a name/formula
birds nest someone created...

Lately, I have been having issues brought to me (and that I have caused
myself) that are exactly like described above. Somehow the amount
of names, sheets and formats placed on a workbook over a period of
time corrupts them. I have looked for a solution for a while now and
it sounds like you recently developed one.

Are you going to retail this product, or have you already and somehow
I missed the link in the article?

All the best and cheers,
Jaden

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (9/8/2011 1:02:06 AM)

Hi Jaden,

Yes, I do offer the product for purchase.
Let me know if you are interested by sending an email to the email address shown at the bottom of this page.

Jan Karel Pieterse

Comment by: Orlando Calderon (3/8/2012 12:00:59 PM)

where do I download Excel File Remediation Tool. I have a critical Excel workbook that every so often crashes.
Thanks for the GREAT tools

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (3/9/2012 5:47:39 AM)

HI Orlando,

The tool cannot be downloaded. However, you can send your file to me and I'll run it through the tool so you can check whether it helps.

Comment by: Alister (7/8/2013 10:46:46 AM)

Hi .. I have a file that gets the following error when saved in Excel 1997-2003. However I have deleted all defined names and their appears to be no external links. Have you come across this problem and how to remove the error from the file. I can send file if required.

"Some formulas in this workbook are linked to other workbooks that are closed. When these formulas are recalculated in earlier versions of Excel without opening the linked workbooks, characters beyond the 255-character limit cannot be returned. Defined Name"

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (7/8/2013 4:12:55 PM)

Hi Alister,

Download my free name manager from www.jkp-ads.com/officemarketplacenm-en.asp and use it to filter for names with external references. That way you'll be able to locate which are causing havoc.

Comment by: Alister (7/8/2013 5:40:18 PM)

Your 'Name Manager' add-on worked fantastically. It found a hidden Defined Name that I could not delete because Excel 2007 would not show it in the list. Using 'Name Manager' I was then able to delete the name and thus solved the problem. Many thanks for such a useful and powerful program.

Comment by: Paul D Pruitt (7/31/2013 9:51:45 PM)

Jan, as I reported in my E-mail, my open source tool, S2 Recovery Tools for Microsoft Excel, has been updated moving from version 3 to 4 with new features. Maybe your customers will find it useful:

* http://sourceforge.net/projects/corruptexcelrec/,

Also there is another free tool they might try:

* http://sergeig888.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/net4-0-version-of-the-xlstylestool-is-now-available - the desktop versions. There is also a WIndows 8 app version.

Comment by: Thomas (11/10/2016 12:15:50 PM)

Your tool is great, I now work from an MacBook with OSx and can't install the remediation tool.

Do you have a Mac version available?

Thanks.

Thomas

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (11/14/2016 9:13:50 AM)

Hi Thomas,

I'm afraid this is a Windows-only tool, sorry!